I heart bem - that's what I placed on top of my baked linguine. I wanted to show my husband (whom I call "Bem" or "Bebem") how much I love and appreciate him all through the years by making this dinner a wee bit more personalized.
He was pleasantly suprised....;)
The baked linguine is composed of three layers: the cooked linguine at the bottom, the cheesy sausage spaghetti sauce in the middle and the white sauce on top. I used a combination of black and green pimiento stuffed olives for the letters.
For this baked linguine, I used:
half a box of linguine (cooked according to the directions in the box)
Cheesy Sausage Spaghetti Sauce:
1 bottle of Bertolli Mushroom and Garlic pasta sauce
half a pack of baby bella mushrooms (chopped)
3/4 of a Jimmy Dean's Sausage (in a roll)
4 left over american cheese squares (cut to small pieces)
1 whole white onion (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small beef bouillon cube
a sprinkling of pepper flakes
1 tbsp of sugar
1/4 cup Gold Medal all purpose flour
half tub of Philadelphia cooking cream
3 Tbsp of Richfood unsalted butter
1 cup of milk (I used Smart Balance Low Fat milk)
Cheesy Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
1. Heat oil in a pan. Saute onions, then add the garlic and the beef bouillon. (Do not allow the garlic to brown)
2. Add the sausage. Stir it as it browns to prevent sausage from sticking to each other. (8- 10) minutes
3. Incorporate mushrooms into the browning sausage.
4. After 2 minutes, add the sauce to the sausage and mushroom mixture. Season according to taste. Add the sugar and pepper flakes. Let it simmer.
5. Add the leftover cheese and allow it to melt and become incorporated with the sauce.
6. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes then set aside.
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter.
2. Using a wire whisk, add the flour and stir continuously to prevent clumps.
3. Add milk. Then let it simmer for 2 minutes but not boil.
4. Add the cream. Then stir until it thickens. Set aside.
Assemble the pasta dish: pasta first, then sauce and white sauce on top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese, mozzarela or quickmelt cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes. Enjoy!!!!!
Next time, I might add parsley on my pasta sauce and include a cottage cheese layer. Let's see how that will turn out! ;)