Monday, October 12, 2015

Dorie Greenspan's Banana Bundt Cake

notaplainhousewife
without drizzle
I have always been fascinated with bundt pans because of their wonderful designs and have always wanted to own one. I made an agreement though with the husband that if I am going to buy any kitchen gadget/pan/utensils I have to use it right away and not allow for cobwebs to grow around them. So, before I bought one from Ross, I made sure that I have a recipe that I can use on it and I came upon this from Food.com - The Best Banana Bundt Cake (Dorie Greenspan). And guess what? It was true to its word - this really was the best banana bundt cake/bread recipe I've ever tasted. It's moist and superbly delicious. I am a novice baker and it turned out really good...the hubby and a bunch of our friends can attest to that. So here's the recipe and happy baking!
 
The Best Banana Bundt Cake (Dorie Greenspan) taken from Food.com by blucoat (August 10, 2010)
 
Ingredients:
notaplainhousewife
with yummy drizzle
 
3 cup all purpose flour

2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 cup or 2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
2 tsps pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
about 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups)
1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup sour cream (or 1/2 cup yogurt + 1/2 cup sour cream)
 
Note:
- In my cake I use only sour cream and I made sure that the butter, eggs and sour cream are at room temperature. 
- When using a Bundt pan, don't place the pan on a baking sheet to allow the oven's heat to circulate through the Bundt's inner tube.
- I always sift the flour, baking soda and salt together before whisking them.
- I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for this recipe.
 
Directions:
 
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9 to 10 inch (12 cup) Bundt pan. (No need to butter it if you're using a silicon Bundt pan.)
2. Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together. 
3. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then add eggs one at a time (beating for about 1 minute after each egg).
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the bananas.
5. Mix in half the flour mixture, all the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture. Scrape the sides after every addition. Do not over mix.
6. Transfer the batter to the buttered Bundt pan, rap the pan on the counter to debubble the batter and smooth on top using a spatula.
7. Bake for 65 - 75 minutes or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean. Check 30 minutes before cooking time ends to see if it is browning to fast. If yes, cover it loosely with a foil tent. Cool for 30 minutes before unmolding onto the rack. Cake is better if left to sit overnight.
 
Simple Frosting to Drizzle:
- Sift 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar into a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp of milk at a time until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle on cake.Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment